If you have already decided to buy your sewing machine, congratulations! Now you only need some basic notions to be able to take your first steps with it. As you can imagine, practice is essential for learn to sew by machine.
But first, you need to familiarize yourself with certain aspects in order to be able to discover how to sew by machineeven if you don't have any experience. Here we will guide you to get you started on one of the most entertaining paths that will lead you to discover the amazing world of sewing.
Sewing machine parts you need to know about
You have your sewing machine in front of you, but you need to know what parts it is composed of. Since the union of all of them will make our work is carried out. Although we know that, depending on the model of the machine in question may vary some of its buttons or functions, the vast majority has them.
- Roulette of the machine: In this case it is called this way to a wheel that has in the side of the same one. When we turn it, it gives us the option to click or to spin. remove the needle from the fabric. It is very necessary when the needle gets stuck. Also, instead of using the machine's pedal, you can start by turning this wheel and thus, you will go much slower but safer.
- Buttons to choose the stitches: Undoubtedly, among the buttons that we will find there will be the one of the width of the stitch and the stitch length. In each one of them, we will have to select a number, depending on what we need. If we choose 0, it will be for when we want to make several stitches in the same place, that is to say, to reinforce. Stitch 1 is the shortest stitch and is perfect for buttonholes. For a normal stitch, you can choose number 2. The larger stitches, like number 4 or 5, are for basting.
- Reverse lever: The machines usually have a small lever that is quite visible. It is the reverse button. So we will use it to finish off the seams.
- Thread tension: At the top of the machine we have the bobbin holders. The places where the thread goes. Depending on the thickness of the thread, we will adjust a small thread. But as a general rule, if in this thread we can select from 0 to 9, we stay on number 4. When they are thicker fabrics or on the contrary, very fine, then you have to adjust the numbering to them.
- Presser foot: Now we go to part of the needle and we find the presser foot. We can raise or lower it, thanks to a small lever that is usually at the back of the machine. For be able to threadmust always be turned up.
- Sewing plate: This is the base, where the needle and presser foot rest. Also in this area we will see the so-called feed dogs.
- Canillero: The machines usually have a kind of small removable drawer. There we will find the bobbin case which will be metallic and very easy to remove. You only have to slide the front tab. Inside the bobbin case, we are going to find the bobbin with its thread.
Preliminary steps to learn how to sew by machine
Now that we know the parts, let's put the machine to use. Although for the moment, only as a practice. We don't need fabrics but sheets of paper. Yes, just as you read. The best way to start mastering the machine pedal and see the rhythm of it is this way. The first thing you have to do is to print some templates on paper. Then, you will turn on the machine and place the paper as if it were the fabric you are going to sew. You will have to follow the lines and the drawings printed on each sheet. But remember, always with the machine unthreaded. We are just practicing. At first it will be a bit difficult to follow each of the lines. But we are not going to give up at the first time. Little by little we will see that it is not so complicated.
How to start sewing on a sewing machine, threading
Although we have not yet referred to it, your turn has come. If you already know the main parts of the machine, you've already dared to practice a little, now the next step begins. Let's thread it to be able to make the main stitches. The threading system is something that many people are afraid of. But nothing could be further from the truth. It is a simple step, which in a short time you will do it almost with your eyes closed.
We will place the thread and pass it through the so-called thread guide.. In the vast majority of machines, the steps to achieve it are already drawn on it. But if it still gives you headaches, discover how easy it is in a video like this one.
Winding the yarn or reeling the bobbin
Another fundamental step is to wind the bobbin. As we have already seen in the section on the parts that make up a sewing machine, we find the bobbin holder. Just below the needle and the presser foot, we have a hole for it. There we will find the bobbin that holds the thread. The act of winding is to fill the bobbin with thread.Why is this so important, because in this way we will avoid knots in the thread as well as snags. First you take out the bobbin, then you turn it a few times with the thread and place it on the bobbin. When you step on the pedal, the bobbin winder will turn and when the bobbin is full, you can stop stepping on the pedal.
Learning the basic stitches
- Linear or straight stitch: It is the simplest and it is perfect to start with. We only have to choose it, and after that, the stitch is ready.argo of the stitch. It will be neither too short nor too long, but somewhere in between.
- Zig-zag stitch: To prevent fabrics from fraying, then we will select zig-zag stitches. You can also choose their length to reinforce the edges of your stitching.
There are sewing machines with which you can make the buttonhole in one step. Of course, others give us a total of four steps to make them. Undoubtedly, the quality will be much higher. Discover how easy it is make buttonholes.
As its name suggests, it will be a stitch type that is hardly noticeable. That is why a thread similar to the color of the fabric is always used. Although its procedure is also quite simple to carry out.
Books to learn how to sew by machine
Of course, if in addition to enjoying the videos and explanations, you want to have everything at hand and on paper, nothing like books to learn how to sew by machine.
Here we leave you with some of the most recommended books to learn how to sew by machine:
- Me and my sewing machine
- The Big Book of Sewing
- Sewing by machine. The basics of sewing
- Step-by-Step Beginner's Guide to Hand and Machine Sewing
|The best||THE GREAT BOOK OF THE...||572 Opiniones||42,75 €||View offer|
|Quality Price||Do it yourself with...||162 Opiniones||20,80 €||View offer|
|Our favourite||PATTERN MAKING THE BASICS...||195 Opiniones||33,25 €||View offer|
|El tiempo entre costuras...||2.174 Opiniones||9,45 €||View offer|
|Sewing Notebook:...||19 Reviews||6,99 €||View offer|
|Basic principles of...||50 Reviews||14,15 €||View offer|
If you've come this far, it's because you're still not quite sure.
How much do you want to spend on your new sewing machine?*Move the slider to change the price.